Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Involuntary Housewivery and Yoga Pants ALL DAY

Hello friends!

Lots of changes this past year. I had moved out to Maine to take a job in a big industrial laboratory company, and was dreadfully unhappy, but slowly paying off debts. I lived in Maine alone from January to August and did my best to improve my mindset, my health, and my wallet.

Moderate success. I did learn how to enjoy my home, and I dedicated a lot of time and effort to de-cluttering (KonMari style) and learning to really enjoy my space. I experienced some traumatic cat attacks when my precious feline companion decided that outdoor cats seen through windows = rip limbs off the female human in the house. I felt the elation of finally feeling like my man and I are on the way up- making enough money to pay double on student loans, having high-interest savings, vacation fund, plans for matrimony... and then I felt the stunning defeat of suddenly being told I don't have a job anymore. 


That's right, the company that moved me to Maine decided after only 11 months that they no longer wanted me to work for them, and as an At Will company, they didn't need to even tell me why. I suspect they can hire someone to do my job for less money.

I was shocked of course- I didn't see it coming at all, but when I walked out of the lab at 9 AM that day, the sun was shining and I felt JOY. I was relieved, just totally and utterly relieved that I never have to go back in that building again, and that I never need to do that job again. I hated it that much. 


So here I am, 2 months into my involuntary stay-at-home wifey-ness, without the ring. Fortunately the bills are getting paid, even though we aren't going to have all debts paid off by the end of 2017 the way we had planned. I've got a part time job at the mall, and my direct sales side-gig with Mary Kay, but the rest of the time I'm home.

Do you think I've been working out? Nope. Not at all. But I see the potential. I know I've been depressed since getting let go, despite the relief and joy associated with no longer being a microscope jockey and handling hazardous materials/chemicals/pathogens. I've been very dark and my energy levels have been low. The sun is out today though, and I'm wearing yoga pants, so any minute I could break into some sort of exercise! 


I've picked up some pet projects to keep me mentally occupied so I don't fall farther into this depression: I've been learning to use Instagram to promote my brother's business for him (he's a major Luddite), I've been making herbarium samples to start creating my own art, and I've been working on a novel. (I always said I wanted to be a writer... now I'm broke and drinking enough wine that it's basically true.) 

I've been neglecting my health though, and at 150 pounds, I'm no longer able to wear my nice clothes that I spent so much money on when I had a job. That's just a waste right there.

So it's time to battle my unemployed ennui with some good old fashioned exercise! I got a Fitbit for Christmas, so at least now I can see in vivid detail just how sedentary I am. My sweetie told me yesterday that I have made a nest on the chaise in the upstairs office. 












I cannot deny it.

I'm still enough that wildlife has colonized me.



All I accomplished today was hiding my credit cards so that I don't submit to the seductive siren's song that is Amazon while the man's at work. Oh, and I walked to the mailbox. 


Today I decided to make the best of this situation. Housewivery will be my greatest skill. The house is clean, there is some outstanding pulled pork fresh out of the crockpot, and squished flowers drying over the gas heater that I'm going to art the shit out of. 
Stay tuned for tales of me getting my life back! Possibly even my perfect waist/hip ratio. 


1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry about the loss of your job. It doesn't make sense that a company can simply tell you that you're no longer needed without any kind of warning. A bright side is that you get to spend more time at home with your family until you find another job that you enjoy.

    Lindsey Mckenzie @ Buchanan Fire And OutDoor

    ReplyDelete